0

the school of life

Posted by poeticnook on 7/10/2001 06:58:00 AM in
Someone sent me a text message a few nights ago, asking me if I missed school and the people and stuff associated with it.. It took me a while to answer but I knew all the time that I would have said yes.

Who wouldn't miss the part where you can choose which classes to take and what time you get in? True, there are dorks in every campus and idiots lurking everywhere, not to mention the "others", well.. but then I love school, and most of the people and stuff associated with it. I love the cook outs, intramurals, lantern parades, college days, and I must admit, enrolment day is pretty exciting, especially when you are an irregular student and you can't find a teacher who would let you in their class. Now that's fun! (that was said in a quasi-sarcastic way, in case you're pouting).


College was just like a game, you win some, you lose some. Professors keep saying that this is your preparation for life to infinity and beyond blah blah b.s. And activists keep saying "Do not confine your learning to the four walls of the classroom" therefore let's cut class and attend the rally (I'm not anti rallies by the way, I actually figured in some non violent marches). And there I was, in the middle of figuring out what major to take and which topping was best for my pizza, trapped between volumes of books and cd's to check out...

Now here I am, and this is life? No one can ever be prepared for it, if I had known it was like this, then I would have opted to flunk my subjects or take an LOA for one year then fly off to our province and planted camote in the fields. I've always wanted to go to school when I was a kid, I thought it was some fairy tale playground.. It wasn't all that fun though, especially when people put too much value on those numbers given out at the end of the term, too much that even trust is broken and friendship is lost..

I want to go back though.. I want to be in school forever. It was easy there, they give you high grades if you do well, they flunk you if you don't (easy to say!).. you can cut class and watch a movie, and you can talk your way out of any responsibility and they'll excuse you and say you're juvenile. (or mark your Form 5 with three big letters in red ink "PDQ")

But now, who gives the grades? Who says which is commendable and which is not? You have to kiss their a's in this world in order to be noticed... Am I officially a grown up now? I have to wake up early, go to work, earn my keep, bow my head to the "superiors", do the task assigned then it starts all over again.. just like a nightmare that never ends.. Is this what I was prepared for?

Yes I miss school, and mostly everything that has come to pass.. but then each man much travel his own way and leave the places he has passed, take the learning in his heart and walk on...

All Life is a school, and so I walk on...

0 Comments

Copyright © 2018 poeticnook All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.