0

canadian thanksgiving

Posted by poeticnook on 10/15/2008 02:43:00 PM
Action de grâce is an annual one-day holiday to give thanks for the things one has at the close of the harvest season, celebrated on the second Monday in October. That's what Wikipedia says about the Canadian Thanksgiving. So there wasn't really any pilgrims or natives gathering around for the land grabbing like the American Thanksgiving in November. Canadians are just basically thankful for what they have. Great! It's only an excuse to have a long weekend or a holiday then. But aren't we supposed to be thankful everyday for what we have anyway? Why do we need a specific day to give thanks? Or it could be to match Columbus Day in U.S. which happens at the same time.

Oh well, who am I to complain, I get a three day long weekend and I get to spend it however I choose, it's like getting a Chance card in Monopoly that says "Advance to GO". The problem is how to manage these free days? That's what kills me. I'm not good at staying in place and waiting around and doing nothing. But I'm not good at lugging excess baggage around either. Ah such intricate travesty of this life I live.

But I should be thankful really, and so today, two days past Thanksgiving, I'm going to spend 5 seconds to list down the 3 things I am grateful about right now:

1. God, whatever people conceive him to be, for planting faith, hope, love and patience in my heart.
2. my family, who, even though they are halfway across the globe, are in good health and cares for me, and misses me a lot, and can't wait to see me again soon.
3. my friends, who, despite my idiosyncracies, put up with me and tolerate me and still keep in touch.

Aside from all that, I am thankful for every sunset that ends each day's worries and every sunrise that gives new hope.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

0 Comments

Copyright © 2018 poeticnook All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.